Dreamin' Big: The American Way

In America, we do things big. We drive the biggest trucks. We buy the biggest TV's. In America, we go big or go home. In the land of abnormal enormity, it's only natural we dream big too. The American dream is often portrayed as the rags to riches story of an individual who comes from nothing and finds success in wealth. However, we all have different backgrounds, aspirations, and therefore, different dreams. What is the American dream?

The American dream is well expressed in Thomas Jefferson's 3rd natural right: the pursuit of happiness. Happiness is achieved when an individual feels free, and safe, and able to achieve his or her maximum potential. The individual must be free so they can live by their own accord and live by the means which they find fulfillment. The individual must feel safe to allow fear and anxiety to dissipate. Finally, the individual must be able to live up to their maximum potential which means he or she live in an environment where equal opportunity is present for all. I have ambition slowly eating away at my core; my dream is to be satisfied with myself.

I need to be safe to achieve my American dream. A world where we constantly need to look over our shoulders does not promote free thought. An environment where we smile to each other’s faces but distrust one another behind the façade does not promote free thought. A place where we’re persecuted for our religious beliefs, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or nationality does not allow us to reach our potential. I need the free head-space to solve the challenges I face.

To fulfill my ambition, I need my freedom. I can’t reshape the world if I’m tied down. I can’t advance myself while advancing the agenda of a master. To pursue my goals, I need the freedom to be my own master.

I need to live up to my full potential to fulfill my dream. The prerequisites of freedom and safety must be met, but my dream stems from my own character because my American dream is creating the best version of myself.

Yes. I want my typical suburban house in a nice town (complete with the white picket fence).
Yes. I want the typical perfect family like in the TV shows.
Yes. I want a paycheck where I’ll never have to worry about money in my life.

But none of that perfection matters if the only thing which follows me everywhere is imperfect: myself. So I’m dedicated to projecting the best version of myself. I’m willing to work for it every day. Perfection is a lot to ask for, perfection is difficult, but perfection is perfection. I don’t ask for a world to be perfect. I ask for the chance to help a world find perfection.
My dream is having the security and freedom to better myself, so I may help others and better the world I live in. Am I dreaming big? Maybe. But goddamn it, I’m American and GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Comments

  1. Haha. This was a great post, Andrew, and I wish more people had seen it.

    Seriously. I love Costco.

    And now really seriously . . . we do need freedom to pursue dreams, and we need freedom to have the courage to have dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Costco, trucks, even the food we eat is larger than some refer to as normal. In agreement with what you concluded your blog with, the American dream is about being financially stable, having a family, and having the ability to buy a house. But it all starts with you and the comfort of your own skin. We attend a four year to grow, academically and personally. Without this opportunity, we fall short in this day and age as education is a huge part of American success. The American Dream starts with yourself and building on the hope that you & I will be the most perfect version of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

“A 5 letter word for happiness: MONEY.” - Mr. Krabs

The Very Hungry Academic Reader